National Burger Day: Mushroom Burger
Today is ‘National Hamburger Day’! Don’t worry, we didn’t get the memo either . It’s our duty here at BuddingVeg.com to ensure that our fellow vegetarians don’t get left out of the foodie fun…ever… so, we’ve complied our favorite vegetarian burger recipes for the occasion! Let the celebrations begin…
Portobello Mushroom Burger
What It Takes:
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Servings: 4
What You’ll Need
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon EVOO
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 4 sets of whole wheat burger buns
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups spinach
- dash of pepper
What You’ll Do:
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high.
- Combine garlic paste, salt, pepper and oil
- brush mixture on Portobello mushrooms and 1 side of buns
- Combine red peppers, tomato, vinegar, oregano and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a separate bowl.
- Grill the mushroom caps until tender, about 4 minutes per side; grill the bread until crisp, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Toss spinach with the red pepper mixture
- Place the grilled mushrooms top-side down on 4 half-slices of the bread.
- Top with spinach and pepper mixture and the remaining bread