Whole Grain Waffles with an Apple Blueberry Syrup
Vegetarian or not- who doesn’t love a good stack of waffles? This is one of my favorites because it’s so tasty & easy to make. I use this Oster waffle maker that cuts the waffles into adorable little bite sized quarters, which makes it super convenient for mornings on the go.
I usually just stack them in a bowl and leave it in the fridge. A batch typically lasts me about 1 week
With waffles, I tend to follow recipes when it comes to adding flour, baking soda & baking power because I found that the batter can come out tasting a little crazy ( read : offensive to tastebuds) if the measurements are altered too much in relation to the portion size. The apple & blueberry topping however is a bit more ad-hoc so I put together whatever I thought made would make a great combo – and that it did!
I used this recipe from allrecipes.com with just a couple of modifications:
- 2 eggs, beaten ( I used about a half of cup of just egg whites)
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk ( I used almond milk instead)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- I added in about 1/4 cup of protein powder for an extra boost
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs or egg whites, milk, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Beat in whole wheat pastry flour, flax seed meal, wheat germ, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, salt (and protein powder) until batter is smooth.
- Preheat a waffle iron, and coat with cooking spray. Pour batter into waffle iron in batches, and cook until crisp and golden brown.
Apple & Blueberry sauce
- 1 red delicious apple thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls of blueberries ( about 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 pinches of clove powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- The following spices to your liking
- cinnamon powder ( I did about 4-5 good shakes of the bottle)
- nutmeg ( I did 1 shake of the bottle)
- put apple slices in water & vanilla extract over medium heat
- After about 2 minutes , add in cinnamon, nutmeg & brown sugar, cane sugar & clove powder and let simmer for another 2 minutes or so
- Lower heat and add in blueberries & let simmer
- After another 2 minutes , turn off & cover so sauce can thicken
- Add in more cinnamon if deemed necessary
Scoop apple & blueberry sauce over waffles and enjoy!