Sunday Eats: Coucous, Veggies & Tilapia
So today was definitely one of my meditative ( read lazy) days. After a visit to church for the first time this year I had plans to go to the grocery store, clean up and do my normal Sunday type things ( zumba- although I did watch a couple youtube vids on how to tighten the tummy, that should count for something! – pay bills, figure out what I’m going to eat for the week, make phone calls, etc.). None of the above occurred but the bright side is I was able to eat thus update the site with whatever vegetarian goodness I was able to conjure up today.
Since I didn’t go to the grocery store and probably won’t until manana- I scrounged my cabinets and Frigidaire and came up my Sunday linner : mushroom & herb couscous, veggies w/light garlic sauce & talipia.
Prep time: About 20 mins
- box of Near East Wild Mushroom & Herb Couscous ( read more about the product here )
- Frozen Tilapia fillet
- 3 cups of veggie mix: I used roasted potatoes (leftover), carrots, sugar snap peas
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp evoo
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of parsley
-Follow the box directions & it literally takes about 5 mins
- add 1 1/4 cups of water, about 1/2 tbsp on evoo & spice packet in box and bring to boil
- add in coucous & stir, immediately remove from heat & let site for 5 mins
One note about this is that although convenient I’d just make sure you’re comfortable with the sodium level (due to the contents in the spice packet). I find that controlling my portion sizes helps to alleviate some of the guilt I feel after a higher than necessary sodium intake.
While water is boiling for couscous, in a separate skillet, heat 1/4 tbsp of evoo
- Place thawed tiliapia in skillet and sprinkle spices on evenly on each side while cooking ( garlic powder, salt, pepper)
- Be careful not to over cook the fillet – and remove when outside is white. Also, take caution while removing as I used a fork and my tilipia instantly fell apart (pictured), lol
- Put the butter and the minced garlic in a skillet. Heat until butter has melted
- I had left over roasted potatoes in my fridge (about 1 1/2regular sized potato) so I took those and added those to the mix. Heat for about 2 mins then add in your veggies & stir
- add in oregano, parsley, salt & pepper to your liking.
- cook just enough to warm up the veggies as you don’t want to loose all the nutritional goodness overcooking them.
Put it all on a plate & enjoy!